*Who is VIDA?*
VIDA is an organization of active and involved citizens from diverse backgrounds dedicated to building a better community for today and for the future.
*A Short History of VIDA*
The origins of VIDA go back to the 1960s, and the struggle for “community control” of the schools, waged by parents and educators of the Central Brooklyn Community. In 1972, Central Brooklyn residents drafted Al Vann, then head of the African American Teachers Association, to run for State Assembly. In that year’s general election, Vann pulled an unprecedented 2,000+ votes under the Vanguard Independent Party in the community which had registered overwhelmingly Democratic. The same organization which originated in the struggles of the 1960s and led the charge for meaningful political change in the 1970s continues today as the Vanguard Independent Democratic Association (VIDA), Inc.
*VIDA Philosophy and Purpose*
The basic philosophy of VIDA is “Community Empowerment.” This means sincere emphasis on community progress and advancement: promoting the interests of the many, as opposed to promoting the interests of a few. We achieve this broad goal by:
1) Developing maximum community participation in the political process through voter registration and political education;
2) Developing maximum community input in policy-making and decisions that affect our community;
3) Developing and supporting political representation that is of, by, and for the community;
4) Developing community control of elected officials and local institutions to insure that they are responsive to the needs of the community, and;
5) Organizing the community to gain and exercise power so that it will receive its fair share of goods and services.
Hon. Albert Vann
Hon. Annette M. Robinson
Hon. Robert E. Cornegy, Jr.
Hon. Tremaine S. Wright
Henry L. Butler, President
Chinyelu O. Udoh, Esq., Vice President, General Counsel
Stefani L. Zinerman, Vice President, Membership and Outreach
C. Doris Pinn, Treasurer
Babatunde Akowe, Esq., Vice President, Political and Social Action
Tyrone Wood, Council of Elders
Call or Visit
399 Tompkins Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11216